Friday, November 2, 2012

vegan pumpkin spice graham crackers.

My most recent discovery about myself has to do with the fact that most of what I remember about a favorite childhood movie or TV show is centered around someone eating something.

Examples.
  • My favorite part of Caspar (with THE Christina Ricci) is when the ghosts eat breakfast. I thought whatever they were eating looked pretty tasty.
  • The only good part of the intro for One Saturday Morning was the cereal bowl.
  • I liked the show The Weekenders because every Friday they went out for pizza.
  • When the little girl in Smart House orders a smoothie from Pat, the robot inside the house. I was jealous. 
  • Crabby patties? I can't even. Crabby patties were all I ever wanted.
It goes on. I'm not ashamed. In fact, I think my knowledge regarding those things is pretty impressive.

Anyway, I made you some graham crackers. They're spicy and cozy. It's a good thing.


Vegan Pumpkin Spice Graham Crackers (adapted from this recipe by edible perspective)

Ingredients:

1.5 cups whole wheat (or all-purpose) flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

1 Tbs pumpkin puree (or unsweetened applesauce)
3 Tbs molasses
3 Tbs maple syrup (or any other sweetener)
1 tsp vanilla
3 Tbs non-dairy milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Whisk together all dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and add pumpkin, molasses, maple syrup, and vanilla. Mix until combined. Add in milk and mix until a soft dough forms (you might need to use your hands). 

Transfer dough to a floured surface and roll into a rectangle about 1/8" thick. (I pressed mine into a small jelly roll pan to form a uniform rectangle. I also don't own a rolling pin) Cut dough into 12 crackers. Gently score crackers down the middle (like a real graham cracker!) and using a fork, poke holes.

Transfer crackers to a prepared baking sheet and bake for 14 minutes.
Owl and his best friend Graham wish you the happiest of fridays.

1 comment:

  1. MMM! Your home-made spiced pumpkin graham crackers look amamzing & ooh so wonderful too!

    A must make! I am not a vegan but do eat, cook & bake vegan 5x/week!
    Come on over @ my blog & check me out! :)

    ReplyDelete